Pages

Friday, August 9, 2013

Operation Search for Our New Home: Day 2 (East Village)

We got a slow start this morning (Friday). Peyton had a meeting with a Walgreens manager  around lunch so we decided to stay close to the "lodge". We just took our time getting ready and had a late breakfast and walked around Chelsea (I found out today it's a huge hub for the gay population in the city, which is interesting). Peyton went to his meeting and I stayed in the room and researched some more about Brooklyn.

When he got back we got ready to go out for the day. We spent the whole afternoon in the East Village.
Eating and walking is not my strong suit. 

It was interesting and we both had a pretty good feeling about it. There are some really neat community developments.
Community Center and Botanical Gardens

We actually visited a bit with two different people. With the first lady, Peyton stopped by a car and alarmingly mentioned that there were two sleeping babies inside it. A lady rushed up and told us that they were hers. I was pretty shocked, but after she told us what was going on (it was still questionable in my opinion) we started visiting. She told us a lot about the area and how much she loved it and was very talkative and friendly. The second girl was sitting on a stoop outside a community center. Peyton and I started talking to her and she asked about what the culture and arts were like in Mississippi. Peyton told her mostly about all the great writers from home and discussed how a lot of beautiful stories came out of our state's dark history, mainly acknowledging the racial tension that for so long defined it. [Peyton is really good at reading people and he told me later that he thinks sometimes when people ask about Mississippi "culture" they really want to talk about just that. And of course, he (we) are happy to.]

We also went in several fun shops and ate some and checked out the area park.
Thrifting and I found this on the $5 rack (plus two cute dresses!). Cost of living what?? ;)

The atmosphere on the streets was really neat and varied. I love this city scape.

And I wasn't expecting so much green to be lining this street in Alphabet City. 

But like I said some of the housing stock left something to be desired, so...not sure we'll land here. 

Here's our overall feeling:
Peyton gave the East Village 7 out of 10 for diversity and friendliness of people. I gave it a 6 out of 10 for the same reasons, plus community resources. However, I felt like the housing stock was a bit lacking. 

Something I am sure about is how much I miss these two pumpkins.
She's been telling Minnie all the rules and jumping in puddles; he rubbed peanut butter in his hair and fak-reaked out about the thunder. 

I had my first little breakdown tonight. We are having a GREAT time, but I miss them a lot. Also, I just had one of those panics I get about Graves jumping off the subway platform and being hit by a train. I talked to Minnie and she was about in tears because she loves them so much and I think is really starting to intensely grieve the move. It was just a hard night after a great day. Tomorrow we're checking out some Brooklyn neighborhoods and I'm ready for it!


[Edited for accuracy: the original post read: Peyton told her there was none and I told her well we had some good writers. She asked if we were writers and Peyton told her I loved to write on my blog. I about died. She ran inside to get a piece of paper so I could write down the address, though. Goodness. Peyton is adamant that this is not what happened. I trust him and his perception since he was the one speaking. I want my blog to be an accurate portrayal of our lives, not just a portrayal of what I see of our lives through my own limited vision.]



4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad I found your blog! I am increasingly admiring your dreamers' spirit. I have also been enjoying the blogging. I hope the trip goes well. Found your site via Leigh Kramer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peyton and Denley,
    I've enjoyed following your search for a new home in NYC, but I am truly disappointed that you find the Jackson arts and culture scene to be non-existent. Contrary to stereotypes that are unfortunately furthered by its own natives, Mississippi possesses a vibrant artistic culture that is open to anyone who wishes to join. From Bill Dunlap, Richard Kelso, Wyatt Waters and Martha Ferris to Jason Lott, Ginger Williams-Cook, Chad Marrs and William Goodman, Jackson is home to multitude artists who regularly contribute to community life.

    If you are truly of the opinion that you are leaving a place that is devoid of culture, please consider attending the Town Creek Arts festival in Jackson on October 5. I will be there showing my art in the black and white checkered tent.

    Perhaps you could also spend an afternoon at the Mississippi Museum of Art enjoying some of the artwork in the Mississippi gallery. Once you view some works by Mississippi artists, I'm doubtless you'll recognize the abundance of Mississippi culture. Fortunately, many Mississippi artists show their work in NYC as well, so when you tour those Chelsea galleries look for the familiar artwork as a beacon of our cultural home.
    Best to you both, Nell L. Knox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nell, thanks for commenting. If you read the next post, I said that I owed Peyton and apology and everyone else an explanation. Honestly, I share a LOT on my blog and Peyton has *never* once taken issue with anything I've said in regards to fights, ect. except for this. He was really upset because he said I cut him off and he was about to start talking about Mississippi literature/music.

    I'll be honest when I think of Mississippi in regards to arts and culture I think mostly of literature and music, very little of the visual arts. But clearly, I now realize that that is on ME. I take a lot of pride in our state- it has a dark history in some ways, but a beautiful one; I will never EVER loose my love and appreciation for the "Christ-haunted South" as Flannery called it.

    I clearly misrepresented my true feelings and I hate that more than you'd probably think. We will for sure do our absolute best to attend the festival in October. [Which is a whole other post about how we have all kinds of amazing shit happening right around us, but rarely make it a priority to participate.] Anyway, accept my apology?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Denley,
    I am worried my comment may have come off as a wee bit harsh - I definitely wasn't looking for an apology, (which is nonetheless accepted, of course). My only intention was to bring greater awareness of what our Jackson surroundings already have to offer. The Northside Sun had a great article this week about how you don't have to fly to Paris to see some of Monet's greatest works, because we have them here in downtown Jackson! Hit up the MMA and see Picasso. Have lunch at the Viking Cafe while you're there, and enjoy Southern cooking from a MS born and bred business. Then check out the beautiful gardens outside; during the week you may even catch live music, indie film screenings, and muralists at work. There are wonderful art classes for children at the MMA, but also at the Children's Museum and the Natural Science Museum. Often, these art classes are taught by local artists whose work sells for thousands in galleries, but who teach future generations of Mississippians for cheap (sometimes free!) and would love to meet your two cute kiddos.

    There is no comparing Jackson's cultural attractions to those of New York City, and I am so impressed with how much y'all are committed to this move. You and Peyton get to be ambassadors of the place that many of your old friends and family have chosen to call home - what a privilege.
    I hope you get the opportunity to talk to strangers about the South again, this time bragging not only on the high art and culture of the South but of how much Mississippians have done considering our state's size. For example, the events at Thalia Maria are endless if you enjoy performing arts. There is a farmers market on High street and one in Madison at Livingston where artists, craftsmen, cooks, and people young and old gather every Thursday until it gets cold. The Blues Trail and Barbecue Trail are just two of many trails that wind through the state, and we are full of musical, culinary & fine, fine, FINE visual art. Mississippi has so much to offer- so maybe tell those NYC friends to come here for a visit if you move back. We may not have the MoMa and the Met but we've got culture, and (if I'm any sort of example) we are ready to tell you all about it.

    Good luck with everything!
    -Nell

    P.S. Expect me to be in touch again next year when I'm headed to NYC for a work trip; I want to see y'all thriving in the Big Apple!

    ReplyDelete