Pages

Thursday, August 8, 2013

Operation Search for Our New Home: Day 1 (Arrival)

We made it! I have to say that I've felt The Lord has been so sweet to me over the last couple of days. First of all, Minnie called me yesterday to tell me that she had run into an old friend at T.J. Maxx who was shopping with her daughter WHO IS MOVING TO NYC FOR SCHOOL and wants to find people to connect with. Minnie said she was so cute and sweet and her mom even said she had been praying for her daughter that she'd find a family of believers in the city that could sort of mentor her. It gives me chills. I really hope we can connect and be an encouragment to each other.

But onto today's events:

We had a pretty rough night with the kids last night. They were up late and then Graves woke up at like four in the morning. It wasn't great. Anyway, we woke up and got ready and Peyton cut the yard....it really needed to be done. My parents came over and my dad took us to the airport after we kissed the kids goodbye. It was tough, but not near as bad as I expected. I've been so worried about the actual flight for some reason (I never worried about flying before I had kids). I actually wrote up a makeshift will at two in the morning before we left:

It's been so long since we've flown! This was the last time-- Annie was tiny and Graves was in my tummy (and was making it hard to keep much else in it). We went to Chicago to see one of Peyton's good friends run the marathon. Our next big trip will be for the wedding of that same friend and we'll have our girl with us again!

Anyway, we got checked in and made it to the gate and had some time to just relax. We were headed to Charlotte first and then onto La Guardia. We boarded towards the end and got the last of the two seat rows. I overheard a girl asking a flight attendent if there were any more seats with two together because she wanted to nurse her baby during take off and landing (the plance was cozy!). So Peyton and I spilt up so she and babykins could be more comfortable. It sounds strange, but lately few things cause me to feel such a sense of purpose as supporting a stranger.

Our flight from Charlotte to NYC had a lot of delays. We ended up visiting with the guy in the seat next to me and he was SO friendly. I know it's an (awful!) stereotype but I just assume Northerners won't be. His kids both live in NYC (he lives in Connecticut) and he gave us tons of advice. When we got off the plane he gave us his phone number. He left the airport but then came back a few minutes later to give us some advice about getting a cab. It literally gave me such a sense of happiness- this being blessed by a stranger. 

Our cab driver was also very friendly and helpful. We finally made it to the "lodge" we're staying at:
The room is tiny and the potty is down the hall. But CHEAP so...yay! 

We ate dinner outside on the sidewalk at a nice Italian restaurant and watched the world go by.

After supper, we walked around Chelsea (the area we're staying in) and called it a night. 

Honestly, I've loved today. We've met so many warm, kind people. And the apartments in this area are really neat- a lot have little flower beds in the front. I'm looking forward to tomorrow! 













No comments:

Post a Comment